An ESI is used when a student posed imminent danger to self or others.
- Physical Restraint: "means personal restriction that immobilizes or reduces the ability to move the individual's arms, legs, body, or head freely" (LRBI Manual, p. 111).
- Seclusionary Time Out: "means when used with a student, all the following conditions are met
- The student is placed in an enclosed area by a school personnel in accordance with the requirements of R392-200 and R710-4-3
- The student is purposefully isolated from adults and peers, and
- The student is prevented from leaving, or reasonably believes that the student will be prevented from leaving the enclosed area" (LRBI Manual, p. 111).
If a school district personnel uses one of these ESI measures, regardless of meeting the stated conditions, an emergency contact form must be completed and parents notified within 24 hours.